Okay, readers. Let’s assume that like me, you are a heterosexual married woman. Now, let’s assume that someone sends you a holiday card. It is addressed to you as follows, with your husband’s name in place of my husband’s name:
Now, how would you react to receiving a card addressed in this manner? Select one.
- I wouldn’t care. I don’t care what people call me.
- I would cringe. I have an identity of my own and am not defined by my decision to marry a man.
- I would be happy. When I was a tween, I wrote “Mrs. So-and-So” on my notebooks whenever I had a crush on a boy. My dreams have come true.
- I would send the card back unopened to the sender with a note that said, “Return to Sender Due to Sexism.”
- I would not do #4 because I have some semblance of manners and have to function as a social being in this imperfect world. But I would certainly consider this.